1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And playing with Brooks the bulldozer could haven't helped. Tiger was 3 down after the first hole and six behind at the turn. I know it's the first day, not match play, blah blah, but for one day there was clearly a new sheriff in town.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Koepka Effect

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Lucky for Koepka it's Thursday.

Had it been Sunday he would have been a pool of jelly in the presence of Tiger and shot a 76.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought golfers were still intimidated by playing with Tiger? That’s what I was told after the Masters.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Danny Lee was a nice story today, but can’t see him putting four rounds together.

Good group at 1-under, Mickelson, DJ, Spieth, Day, Fowler. And Fleetwood at 3-under.

All still in it. But Koepka looked unstoppable today. Course record and didn’t take advantage of either par 5.

It’s something to shoot 63 in a major and legitimately say he left a couple shots out there.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Koepka doing that, while I’m Tigers group? No intimidation there. But still only day 1. Many have gone low in Rd 1 and not won. Then again they weren’t defending champ and 2 time defending US Open champ either.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He left some shots out there, but he also made 15-20 foot putts nobody else but Lee was making.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

True. It does balance. Still unreal to shoot 63 without a par-5 bird. Particularly on the gettable fourth hole.

10. Deskgrunt50

DJ and Spieth buzzing. Both to 4-under.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spieth with another birdie, gets to 5 under with one hole to go. But can he carry it over to the weekend, where he has been, shall we say, quite underwhelming this year. Still, he's in prime position going into the weekend (assuming he doesn't gack No. 9).

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Yeah, odd Spieth’s weekend trouble. Don’t love him here because of his wild driver. But if he can keep it straight, why not?

I liked DJ and Fleetwood coming in. Still in the mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted