1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Clarion Ledger (Jackson, MS)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sam Hall, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Sam Hall

Sam Hall New Member

The Clarion Ledger in Jackson, Mississippi, is looking for a Sports Editor dedicated to developing talented journalists in a fast-paced, digitally focused operation that includes one of the largest sports awards events in the country while also providing an authoritative and thoughtful voice for our sports audiences.

The sports editor oversees coverage of four college teams — two SEC, one C-USA, one SWAC — statewide high school sports, ongoing enterprise projects and seasonal video series exploring different facets of athletics in Mississippi and the South.

This position will also serve as the deputy sports editor for the USA TODAY Network's Southern Region.

For more information and to apply, visit Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Editor.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I remember, not so long ago, when this was a pretty big boy job.

rb

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Rusty Hampton did a nice job there once, and was a good guy to boot. I have no idea what he's up to these days.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was talking to one of the former sports writers there a while back and he mentioned how, right before the crash hit in the late 2000s, there were something like 20 or 25 people on the sports staff. Now it's five or six.
    A lot of great reporters have passed through the Clarion-Ledger on their way to bigger and better things, though. Some of them fairly recently. So it can still be a launching pad for the right people.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted