1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

With lots of beers, I hope.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well not as many as Saturday at least ...

John B. Foster likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

So why tie the 18 billion in Detroit city debt to the Ilitch family? That’s a very weak article, realistically not worth reposting on ANY site, that ignores the family’s contributions to the city through their investments in countless endeavours let alone making the Tigers and Red Wings the pride of not only Michigan but both their respective professional Leagues! What, are they not supposed to make money? So there’s a little bit of traffic problems??
    Fuck me, neither one of those franchises would be in existence and their incredible legacies would be a distance memory if not for Mike Ilitch. Stupid fucking article.
    Not worthy of posting on SJ.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Never go full fanboy.

BartonK, HanSenSE, JC and 2 others like this.
  6. misterbc

Don’t believe everything you read.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Ilitches also got a sweetheart deal to build Comerica Park with taxpayer $$$

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Stuck at unlucky 13. Fuck.

9. misterbc

What I don’t get is the outrage over what you are saying, in essence, that pro franchises get subsidized. I live in Calgary and the same argument has been going on here for years. Just like the Ilitch owned Detroit teams the Flames are an incredibly important civic asset. They are the pride of a city that has been through some very hard times recently due to the fucking assholes in Ottawa deciding to destroy an industry that is the most responsible oil producing area in the world. (Not a political post). The Flames group also owns the Calgary Stampeders who happen to be the reigning CFL champs and play in a decrepit 1959 stadium. The owners are self made businessmen like Mike Ilitch.
    I’m going on what the posted article alluded to and that was there have been lies told and unfulfilled promises made. I haven’t seen the HBO piece. Why not just do an indictment on everything ever? You know, like, I’ll love you forever, of course I’ll pay you back, we will balance the budget, you look beautiful in that dress, ...society is built on lies. So maybe the Ilitch family hasn’t followed through on some things, look at what they HAVE done.
    It’s a personal thing but I hate it when self made, successful people who have made huge contributions to their cities, in this example, get a hatchet job done on them by the new capitalist hating media while the same media phenomena idolizes no talent reality personalities. Like, what’s the point?

10. Vombatus

Tweet. Jake to the Penalty Box.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ahem.

12. Vombatus

Well, yep. Drama. Game 7 drama.

Better than watching baseball...

Draft saved Draft deleted