1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

HIs first call should be to Barry Rohrrsen

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It’s breathtaking to me how fast Arkansas became irrelevant. NC in 1994. Made the finals in 1995.

By 1997, they were two hours removed and beginning this process of Nolan not getting the top guys in, the ugliness over the departure, Stan Heath and then a parade of coaches who didn’t work.

I thought Anderson would work and was surprised they fired him.

The program really needs a coach who earns the trust of city players. Fayetteville isn’t the friendliest place for a non-white athlete. It’s isolated, proudly conservative and rural (even with the financial boom there). Nolan provided cover with wins and his assertiveness but even that evaporated eventually.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Pay well?

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Yeah, FSU has a big basketball booster culture and “recruiting” budget relative to its peers.

Thats how it gets so many McD AAs and one-and-dones.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hasn't been updated after Beilein left Ann Arbor?
    How crazy and insistent is the U of M fanbase about Juwan Howard? We are on pins and needles in Providence right now. I don't see anything mentioned better than Ed Cooley.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Cooley would be a good hire. Somebody at the Big East meetings said he saw Cooley today and that the Friars' boss was still on the schedule to play golf on Tuesday.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They should punt - maybe give a mid-major striver a three-year $5 mil "prove-it deal" or just go interim. I'm sure M has the cash (since they don't have to pay Bielein anything now) - but you don't commit to six years without being able to talk to everyone who you would want to. Most coaches are locked in. The nice thing about this time of the year is any coach talking to you is serious about the gig and not just leveraging for an extension. Musselman would have been so great in Ann Arbor.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One problem for U-M is Beilein's best disciple, LaVell Jordan, has been mediocre at Butler
    Howard is getting a big push with recommendations from Webber, Rose and King
    U-M worries about being associated with the Fab Five again
    It is whether he's hired or not
    At this point, Howard is as good a hire as any

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that Howard's lack of college coaching/recruiting experience would make the hire a disaster. I can't think of an NBA type who went back to college and did well, even those with more coaching experience such as Avery Johnson. One possible exception might be Penny Hardaway but he had very deep ties to the AAU scene because of the team he had run. But Howard has been associated with the NBA the last 25 years.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Howard could hire Steve Fisher as his quality control coach/consigliere. What's Thad Matta up to? Rudy T?

Draft saved Draft deleted