1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tweener, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Do you ever have a hard time enjoying a story (which is generally pretty good) because, as a writer, you can’t help but see all the flaws in the writing/reporting?

Every so often, I read something that everyone seems to jacked about yet I just can’t get there.

The recent example is a piece I read on a major sports figure that was published by a large publication. It was a solid piece, but I was shocked at how many people seemed to love it. One guy I follow on Twitter actually wrote that it was one of the best features he’s ever read. I about spit out my Dr. Pepper.

We all know writers are competitive, but am I being petty? Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Link to the story?

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’d rather not. More of a general question than about one story.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, I read a story my wife was writing.

Started to critique it.

One of the many factors that led to my divorce.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I often can't get past editing errors. Which means I love a lot fewer stories nowadays.

HanSenSE and Dog8Cats like this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I totally ignored the OP once I saw the period in Dr Pepper.

expendable, Chef2, Huggy and 7 others like this.
  7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Since I started to really concentrate on copy editing, it has become terribly difficult to disengage from the editing mode -- whatever I'm reading. This might sound petty, but in my mind, the overall quality of a piece of work has to take into account the conventions of the language and other editing-esque issues.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

What does it mean to jacket about a story?

Tweener likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sure. The points are valid.

One person's thorough is another's navel-gazing. One person's eloquence is another's pretentiousness. One person's attempt at writing is another's bad attempt at forming a narrative.

Time and place. Amount of space. Size of newshole. Writer. Story. Setting. Objective. News cycle. Bunches of variables.

There are people who have won numerous awards who I wouldn't give two seconds for their next story. There are others who would never brag about or display their awards - or who have never won one because they're much more concerned about their next piece than the APSE or state award deadlines - who publish amazing work.

Tweener likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Michael Bamberger on golf.com wrote a listicle story in December of some "best things in golf" that caught his eye over the past week, and one item was slamming a small newspaper for butchering a photo caption from George H.W. Bush's funeral that had some household sports names -- with the subhead "Best reason to still have a copy desk." I went all crazy-reader and sent him a note pointing out that golf.com and SI have fallen considerably in terms of copy editing, so perhaps he should spare a fellow media outlet and especially one so much smaller than his. And I pointed out an editing mistake elsewhere in that same story. First time in years I had done something like that, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Tweener likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time. Its a combo of me being a bit of a critical eye and everyone on Twitter tending to go way over the top on praise with stuff thats just Ok

Tweener likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Boom!

Draft saved Draft deleted