1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

While the Giants have won 3 WS in the last 10 years (and made playoffs in 2016), I have not seen a prospect like this in the Giants system in forever, okay since Posey in 2010.

The Jays (and Braves and seemingly everyone else) has exciting young hitters and/or pitchers and the Giants have stale retreads. Price you pay for earlier successes I get it. I'm happy for the other teams and their prospects.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Giants haven't developed an All-Star outfielder since Chili Davis in 1984. Think about that. How many outfielders have appeared in All-Star games since then?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Vlad Jr. was an international free agent signee. Anyone could have taken him.

Same with Acuna and Albies.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why do you have to rub it in?

The Giants were so smart in the late 90's that they INTENTIONALLY signed Michael Tucker so they had to forfeit their first round draft pick. Let that sink in.

Yeah, development of OFs especially has been horrid. (Now Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford, Sandoval, Lincecum and Bumgarner are all home grown).

5. DanOregon

One of the downsides (for fans at least) of the "new math" of baseball is that fewer teams are eager to trade prospects for a veteran during a pennant chase. Always used to be fun years later to find out if those prospects panned out.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a fuck about your fantasy teams! (Or mine. I've got him on one, too.)

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  9. DanOregon

Future "On This Date in Baseball History" item: Player suspended one game for dropping an n-bomb on a pitcher after being hit. The twist? The batter was black. The pitcher was white. Progress? The pitcher was suspended five games for throwing at the hitter (who apparently broke the unwritten rule on bat flips).

Sources: Anderson ban is for epithet, not bat flip

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much a flip as it was a bat huck.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Almost as long as the Mets...

Draft saved Draft deleted