1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times Writer Advocates the University of Colroado Drop Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Apr 18, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As a alumnus I wish they would. Besides the dangers to players the athletic program loses lots of money and to many academic compromises are made.

I love football but I don's see much of a benefit to the university from their athletic program.

At Colorado, a Breach in Football’s Wall

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen, of course, but I suppose if Colorado would be happy in the WAC or the WCC they could drop football.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I heard they don't care for colroed people up there.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might as well, since the rest of the Pac-12 seems to have dropped football already.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Being a Colorado football player may be the safest Power 5 gig outside of Mount Oread.

Never have to play in a conference championship game. Rep as a soft program. Generally don’t have to play after Christmas.

Not exactly Bama or Georgia, which plays 12, the SEC and one or two games in the playoff.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

But they have such a proud history of producing all-time greats...

And they'll always have Kordell to Westbrook.

upload_2019-4-18_15-30-34.png

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He glazed right over the time in between editorials when Pitt had a strong program and even won a national championship.

Let's be clear about this. Some time in the 1950s, Chass wrote that the Pitt football program was so embarrassing that it should drop to a lower division. I do wonder if he was standing by that point about 20 years later when the Panthers won a national championship in 1976.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Easy argument to make given football's brutality but not so much when considering alumni that speak with their wallets. It's far from a matter of "the team stinks and loses X dollars." Look at UAB, which got rid of football and then brought it back because the outcry was so great.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fuck Colorado and their fifth down. While I'm at it, fuck Bill McCartney.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So the University of Colroado's football team is gone.

What about the University of Colorado?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lots of things are brutal.

The NYT likes this issue, mostly. You win hosannas at the right cocktail parties with the right intellectuals.

Draft saved Draft deleted