1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Their job.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol. They should all play for free then.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You should go back to stroking Tiger. You’re ridiculous

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think MLB does not want celebrating turn into taunting, which I’m pretty sure nobody wants.

Where do you draw the line from a bat flip to flexing muscles at the plate like a WR does after he catches an 11-yard pass on 3rd and 14 in the NFL?

There is not an easy answer to this. Do you leave it up to the umpire to police it? Do you police it at all?

I honestly do not want theatrics on mound or in the batters box. I don’t like where that road is headed.

lakefront likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see it both ways. It's kind of shitty to show up a pitcher that way. There is an unscientific place where your celebration crosses a line, and I thought Anderson crossed that line.

At the same time, thowing at a guy who hits a HR off you has always struck me as a punk move. If you don't like the guy flipping his bat, don't give up the home run. But throwing at the guy the next at bat doesn't say a lot about your competitive make-up, for me. Strike him out if you want to make a real statement.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is nothing short of mindblowing. Should be getting more love ... maybe Votto should have flipped his bat.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I saw this today and still can't quite believe it's true. He's had more than 6,000 at bats. How is that even possible?

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize that was a kept stat.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Another stat I saw, IIRC, was that he only has something like 10-12 infield popups in his career. He's just a virtuoso hitter.

And Reds fans (like me) are incredibly lucky that Votto is happy in Cincinnati even though he'd be so much more known and celebrated if he played for the Yanks or the Sawx.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Still needs to work on his defense and base running.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And salads.

Draft saved Draft deleted