1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What did that squirt Ebersol and Flim Flam Polian get paid?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So they had one investor who "committed" to $170 mil who only put in $25m (Fowler) and then Dundon who "committed" to $250 mi who "only" put in $70m. Really interested in finding out where the $100m went. And maybe Ebersol should have dug a bit on Fowler who was bounced from Vikings ownership when he couldn't come up with $20m for a limited stake.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whatever it was, they better save it, because nobody is ever going to hire them to work in organized football again.

4. DanOregon

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of ...

AAF investor Reggie Fowler arrested on bank fraud charges

6. DanOregon

The reason this league was viewed as credible was because of the names involved. I guess I'm just surprised that that many people got snowed. Or maybe they knew they had to keep quiet in order for more gullible investors to pony up the cash.

7. poindexter

I clicked before I read your description.

"Kind of disappointing" nails it. That was a waste of time. The headline says "The Spectacular Crash...."

The end says, "Which, again, was . . . whose fault? There may never be a satisfying answer. "

Meh.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Saved me a click.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Here we go...

10. poindexter

How much are they paying these networks?

11. DanOregon

Exactly - I noted the quote in the ESPN piece - some VP for programming. The fall of the AAF, let alone the XFL's first attempt, will make for a steeper climb for the XFL. Having ESPN and Fox help promote the league will help - but having all teams in existing pro/NFL markets will be rough. The coaching hires - Stoops excepted - are a step down from the AAF.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The theory probably is that even if you get a tiny slice of a big market, there will be more folks watching. More folks in seats too, for the four franchises located in warm winter locations.

Not that I think this league will succeed but the AAF showed week after week why secondary markets are less appealing.

Draft saved Draft deleted