1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The timbers that burned last night were erected in the 1860s. At the same time, out in Versailles, stands of the same sort of oak tree used for those timbers were planted, in the idea they would be used as eventual replacements. They are ready now.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It took nearly 200 years to build the dang thing. How long will it take with modern tools and technology to rebuild it? Five years tops?

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone stepped forward to help fund the rebuilding of the three black churches that were burned here in the good ole USA?

Jssst21 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Oooh! A whole $218,000! Meanwhile, three rich trouser stains have already pledged $337 million to rebuild this one.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I guess black churches don’t matter

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I get the sentiment but I think its a terrible look for some message board person to tell others how to use their own checkbook.

expendable and HanSenSE like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The terrible look is failing to step up to help rebuild churches in this country.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

I'd also be willing to bet Notre Dame was insured out the ass, especially for fire. I'd go double or nothing the black churches were not.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

Then we should really take the politics thread out back and shoot it.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't tempt the moderators.

Vombatus and HanSenSE like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the Louisiana churches will be just fine - especially now. I don't know if the cathedral could have been insured, stuff that old and valuable. Makes more sense to self-insure. That building was art.

Draft saved Draft deleted