1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A great moment in sports. Glad to have watched it. Not likely to be topped this year....unless of course he does it again. Still won't be like this though. This is Cubs or the Sox winning a title. LeBron making Cleveland a champion, US Hockey over the Russians in '80. And even those don't really compare. An all-time great, brought down by his own indiscretions, betrayed by his body and battling time on his sport's biggest stage? Enjoy it. Revel in it and be sure to tell your grandkids about it.

Captain_Kirk and HanSenSE like this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Most athletes are assholes.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Jonny Miller... this wasn’t some nobody one-putting every green.

Tiger won this. Today he hit his fairways, he nailed his irons and did enough short work and putting to win. He also played the tourney like a chess match. He knew when to go for it. He knew once he got that one-shot advantage that everyone would start pressing on the course and start making bad shots, which is exactly what happened outside of Johnson and Koepka. He played the greens perfectly.

Even if he does not do much the rest of the year, it’s “I’ll take Tiger. You take the field.” for at least the 2020 Masters.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I will say I am sort of sad today, because the 2019 Masters makes me realize what we we might have missed out on for the last decade.

BadgerBeer and John B. Foster like this.
  5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I clicked on this thread to see hyperbolic posts and was not disappointed. Thanks, DO!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Woods was far from perfect today through 11 holes. He had three bogies, two in a row on four and five. But once he saw Molinari and Finau dunk on 12, I think Woods said, "here's my opening, let's see if I can step on the gas." And he could.

7. DanOregon

It's not hype. Give me a comp. None of the others had the same back story. If the Cubs or Sox were picked for last in their divisions the year they won, if Lebron was coming back from an ACL and a massive national scandal... maybe.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Billy Chapel.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I just look at it like...for that incredible run he had for 10-12 years he was able to do physical things that many of his competitors couldn't do so in essence he was playing a different golf course. I don't think Chris DiMarco fell to the aura in 2005. I don't think Retief Goosen necessary fell to it in 2002. They just couldn't do the things he could do. But however many years later there's a whole lot of young guys on tour that can do what he does physically so today he made a few more shots, used his experience on the course, capitalized on the openings and played patient, played smart and got it done.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A comparison?

Ali/Foreman?

11. DanOregon

Ali was 32 but had no health issues. And he only had to beat one guy.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm torn between Jesus walking on water and Moses parting the Red Sea.

But even those seem to pale next to a guy who once fucked a waitress winning a golf tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted