1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not questioning the call, don’t get me wrong.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know that. Not questioning you at all.

It IS unusual ... this is a tournament that doesn't bend or yield for anything - except Mother Nature.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

What an amazing Saturday for this tournament. This is just damn near every big name in the game hovering around the leaderboard. And with the early starts and two tees I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Fowler (-7) or even Speith (-4) put up a 30-31 on their first nine, especially if they open on the back nine and go low on the first six holes.

Excuse the question if it's an obvious answer but how do they determine which threesomes goes on the 1st tee and which threesomes go off the 10th

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Even better, my Sunday morning ritual of watching political dickslaps on Face The Nation and yelling at the TV will be canceled.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's never been a secret that Billy Morris was a member. And his brother Charles. And his won Will. Hell, Billy always moderated every Jack Nicklaus interview room appearance for ages and Jack and Barbara always stayed with Billy.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... not so much:
    Frankie -13
    Finau -11
    Tiger -11

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If they're playing in the rain tomorrow, Frankie Red Sauce has no chance. He's not long enough against the bombers.
    He'll be hitting 6 and 7 irons in where most everyone else is hitting wedge.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

First time Woods has been in the final group of a major since 2009 PGA.

I think Molinari is going to be too tough to beat. Dude is a closer. Doesn't make mistakes.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If they're playing in 15-20 MPH winds that may be the deciding factor.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Cannot wait to see the ratings tomorrow. They’ll be off the charts.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But likely not the 6 a.m. start time on the West Coast, where 60 Minutes will be seen at its regularly scheduled time.

Couldn't watch today (had a spring football game) but catching the replay now. This is going to be wild. El Tigre in the final group is big.

I'll also add, it's a real nice advantage for Molinari to get to start at 9:20 a.m. instead of having to wait around all day with the Masters lead and Tiger and others behind him.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So there are 22 groupings in mostly threesomes (as opposed to 33 today in twosomes).

So the players in the top 11 groups (the top 33 players on the leaderboard) will go off No. 1, with players farthest back going first at 7:30 a.m. EDT, then going 11 minutes apart (group 12, 13, 14, etc. to 22, the leaders going last).

It's the reverse for players in the bottom 11 groups. Group 11 will go off first (the same time as group 12) with players 34-35-36 going first, but starting on the back nine. Then it goes down every 11 minutes from there until you get to the final two players who are in last place going at the same time as the leaders.

And since that last group is a twosome with all threesomes ahead of them, they'll have a lot of waiting.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted