1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Electoral College will vanish the day after a Democrat wins it but loses the popular vote for President. Until both sides suffer its effects, one has no incentive to change.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"The system will never be reasonable or fair" is not a defense for the system being unreasonable and unfair.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We the Counties of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union...

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're out of you're mind if you mean that the way you worded it.

Trump got 620,285 votes in Los Angeles County.

He got 1.3 million votes in Alabama
    He got 1.02 million votes in Arizona
    He got 677,000 votes in Arkansas
    He got 1.14 million votes in Colorado
    He got 668,000 votes in Connecticut
    He got 2 million votes in Georgia
    He got 2.1 million votes in Illinois
    He got 1.5 million votes in Indiana
    He got 798,000 votes in Iowa
    He got 656,000 votes in Kansas
    He got 1.2 million votes in Kentucky . . .

I'm not DEFENDING it (Jesus, when will people learn the fucking meaning of that word?)
    I'm stating what the math is. Math is hard to beat.

How many of "the People" signed that document? 39. Out of a nation of 4 million.

See? Nothing has changed. A few speak for so many.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. Michael_ Gee

My error. Proper stat is more votes in whole state of California. One of the arguments against the Electoral College is that a national popular vote would cause candidates to campaign more widely than they do now, because the difference between losing California or Texas by 7 as opposed to 15 could make the difference in the race.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it would "cause" the candidates to do, but one pundit did say he believed the candidates would flock to the big cities, making the rest of flyover country feel even more left out.

And frankly, whether a candidate stops in my area or not makes zero difference to me. Just means road closures and traffic tieups.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would also lead to a lot more shenanigans than there already are. The only reason I favor the popular vote is that it would compel Congress to establish a baseline standard for voting eligibily and tabulations in federal elections. I would have thought that would have happened after Bush v. Gore, or after the Voting Rights Act was gutted and not instead expanded to all 50 states.
    What is crazy is to think how expensive Presidential campaigns are now with 90 percent of campaigning done in Ohio/PA/Michigan and Florida alone.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Republicans would do that with a coup.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Secret Correspondence Between Donald Trump Jr. and WikiLeaks

"The messages show WikiLeaks, a radical transparency organization that the American intelligence community believes was chosen by the Russian government to disseminate the information it had hacked, actively soliciting Trump Jr.’s cooperation. WikiLeaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump’s tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States."

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Did William S. Burroughs write that?

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I was told there would be no math.

matt_garth likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Costs would rise, but they'd also shift. It'd be much more effective to have volunteer canvassers (a complete bitch to organize and implement, but still the best means of campaigning) and far fewer regional television ads blighting the local TV news if like five states. Internet advertising would even more quickly supplant TV advertising of all kinds. Campaign surrogates (a very minor part of campaigns now, but once very important) would be employed more, with co-ordinated messages. It wouldn't just be MORE TV ads. Things would change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.