1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I listen to podcasts almost constantly and I subscribe to The Athletic, but if it’s not going to come through my normal podcast app I’m probably not going to listen.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Also, there’s a lot of fucking podcasts these days

playthrough and Pilot like this.
  3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Because the world needs more gab-fest sports podcasts where the hosts talk nothing but insider fart jokes and where you can get the best alphabet soup in Brooklyn

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some woman tweeted a while back that if two or more white men get together to talk, it's called a podcast.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I tried listening to one and it was beyond terrible.

There is nothing worse than the podcast of four poorly recorded guys just talking. I tried to listen to a basketball podcast they're doing and it started with several minutes of "What up?" "What's up with your fuckin' dog? " "My fuckin' weekend was OK."

Seriously, NO ONE wants to listen to that.

exmediahack and Tweener like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There’s a podcast I liked — on local history — but I had to stop listening, mostly because it sounded like it was being recorded on a crappy Maxell cassette from 1992 using a $10 stick mic from Radio Shack.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Surprised The Athletic has added sound. They seemed to be doing well with the model that they are different from newspapers that try to do so many things they do them all poorly. Newspaper suits for some reason think the way to succeed is to make their reporters work every day (60 to 70 pay 40), take video every day, hold podcasts several days a week and take pictures every day. I thought The Athletic was different, giving their reporters time to do quality work. What's the update on The Athletic? Is it revolutionizing the industry still? Or not?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If it’s making a profit, it’s revolutionizing the industry. The bar is pretty low at the moment.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Heard a rumor they’ve hired Paul Lench to cover Hockey East

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Curious what you all thought about Jason Quick’s story from last night in Portland. He wrote what appears to be about 1,500 words and left the final score until the final graph.

Did it work? Is it less essential to get the score in early at times when just about everyone reading the story already knows how it ended?

A game was won. A series had changed. How perseverance...

Draft saved Draft deleted