1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning page design

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by MNgremlin, Jun 15, 2015.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Overtime meant not getting the gamer in Tuesday's paper. So I improvised....

[​IMG]

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I can't believe it's been 6 years since starting this thread.

I was kinda thrown in off the deep end last fall as our shop turned into a regional design hub and extra sports staff turned into page designers (bright side, finally full-time after 7 years at the paper!)

I was pretty happy with this front I put together the other day, especially the NBA package.
    [​IMG]

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Congrats on getting the full-time gig @MNgremlin. I will say it's probably not anything to do with you, but the front page is too busy for me...I like a bigger CP with a strong big picture. Just me, doesn't always have to be, but would prefer art on bottom to even out page. But as I said if you get a budget with quite a bit of stories I can see not having room. I like the breakout shaded box also.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The photo in the top strip probably needs to be two columns at its widest, not only to make sure the CP plays where it should, but also to make sure readers know that the CP is, well, the big story.

Also, when using a breakout box and art with the top strip, it almost makes two photos with the CP package a little messier than need be. Sometimes, one with the breakout is enough, especially with a major art element on the strip.

(Not trying to be nasty or discouraging, MNgremlin ... I don't want to be that SOB, but it really jumped out at me. Keep up the good work.)

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

All good. I appreciate tips like that. It's why I post here.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Fair points. I probably could've moved bottom story inside, which would've allowed for a bigger main photo. As I said, was just trying to package things together...something my boss doesn't do enough of imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted