1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heathen at Catholic Funeral

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Mar 19, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've been there. Everyone in the church is doing Hail Marys, and I am standing there doing Hail Murrays.

FileNotFound and Webster like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm a cradle Episcopalian, which is basically left-handed Catholic. Same deal with the stand, kneel, sit, stand and sing, and add in that if you try to follow the service in the prayer book it still skips all around. I love bringing some kinda Baptist friend who goes to one of the more freewheeling praise churches and afflicting them with archaic ritual.

It's even more fun to bring a straight-laced Baptist to the church Mardi Gras party and parade. Nothing like parishioners dancing and having beer and wine flowing in the parish hall to screw with their minds.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been Catholic my whole life - not a good one but I started attending a course that seems to be aimed at "light Catholics" like myself. I'vse started using a notebook to write down questions I've always had about the mass and the Church that I can google later. It helps.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The only thing growing up as a sometimes Catholic taught me was that I'll never buy into organized religion. The last time I went to Mass was decades ago. The rituals at a Catholic Mass are comforting, but not at the price of being a hypocrite. I don't believe, and I'm not going to act like I do.

My wive and oldest daughter started attending services at the hippie church in town. Our daughter — who has the most morbid imagination for a 10-year-old — has some questions about heaven and hell and all that shit. And, like my wife has said, we don't want to deny her the church experience lest she falls prey to some cult leader promising eternal salvation for the low, low price of all your worldly goods and anyone you ever knew.

maumann likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Accurate. Millennials like symbolism and structure of it, and also seem to warm to the idea that there are professional priests who can carry the burden of shepherding, hearing sins, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted