1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Happy for the guy, he's been unbelievable for his first 7 years, a true superstar.

And $100M more than Bryce still doesn't accurately show how much better he is over Harper.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I won't miss the speculation article, the "insider sez X" stuff, the "you know his wife went to school at X" or whatever. Scribes are going to have to find the next "Where is he going?" guy.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fully expect him to bring the Canned Heat!

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

With him and Arenado locked up, I guess it's time to start speculating about Betts.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Proof again that money outweighs winning. Angels can't hit their ass with both hands.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems like a very Angels thing to do with Pujols' contract winding down, sign someone to another long-term contract.

But at least he should be able to afford to market himself now.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harper chose the record contract over every other consideration. And the dubious record lasted less than 3 weeks.
    And, if this is an extension of trout’s current contract you can reasonably say that trout’s 15 year $531M contract is both the longest and richest contract in baseball history, far eclipsing everything Harper and Boras wanted. And deservedly so.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can't believe he signed an extension what with all of Bryce Harper's tampering.

9. heyabbott

Answers part of the question, How much would it take for trout to play in Philly with Harper? More than $430M

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I read that it tacks on 10 years to the existing contract.

11. heyabbott

Didn’t see that. Current deal is 3 yrs/34m a year?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You’d turn this down?

Draft saved Draft deleted