1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling challenged

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake Dowling, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Jake Dowling

Jake Dowling New Member

I am looking for guidance on how to handle a situation with a recent journalism graduate.
    For some background, I'm in my first year as a news editor and have been a sports editor come four years in June. Altogether, I've been in the field for five years now.
    I hired a reporter fresh out of college in May for our small (roughly 2,000-paper circulation) newspaper. As she approaches one year, the relationship with her in the newsroom has been a roller coaster.
    Since she joined, she likes to throw at me and another reporter (who did not study journalism but has a year of experience in the field) what she learned in school is thethe all of answers, disreguarding our knowledge in the field.
    An example would be the AP stylebook. Based on my experience in the field, I feel the stylebook is a guidlineg and newspapers have the right to interpret it anyone it sees fit. She disagrees based on what she learned in school.
    How do I got about handling this situation?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If she is your underling, I'd recommend a closed-door meeting where some things are spelled out.

Starting with the unwise nature of trying to challenge her superiors, reiterate that the AP Stylebook is a guide that can be superceded by local style, and that being a disruption in the newsroom by disregarding and being disrespectful of co-workers and superiors is unacceptable.

I'd have cut-and-dried examples of her behavior that fits into these categories, and put it in writing, with her being made to sign and date it as understanding what has been spelled out to her.

If you have an HR person on site, they should be present and involved in it.

If this means putting her on a "Performance Improvement Plan" or whatever wording you want to use, by all means do it.

Tweener likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're the boss, and AP style sometimes differs, depending on the newspaper. Tell her what you, and/or the paper, would do is what applies.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Like someone told me in my first gig, "Style is not what the stylebook says, it's what the editor says." For example, in that job, the editor thought the periods in a.m. and p.m. were a waste. When I left, though, it took me a while to start putting them in again.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What are some other examples?

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I thought I knew everything at 22. What a terrible age.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd advise against wearing a MAGA hat in front of her.

fossywriter8 and Batman like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m not saying that you don’t have concerns, but maybe this forum isn’t the best place for you, as her boss, to be airing those concerns, at least under your real name (assuming this is your real name).

We’ve had multiple employees come on here to vent and using their real name. We’ve frequently warned them to watch what they say or to do it anonymously so that their employer doesn’t find out. This is the first time I recall having to warn a supervisor. You don’t want her reading this here, otherwise, you are the one who may end up in a meeting with HR.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    cjericho, HanSenSE and PaperClip529 like this.
  9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

It seems like you need to put on your big boy pants and start acting like an editor and/or adult.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Going by what I've seen on the thread so far, in the second act they'll be trapped together overnight while staking out a crooked bookkeeper at the old sawmill. In act 3 they marry.

At least that's how I'm pitching it.

SFIND and BartonK like this.
  11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Most of my employers went by the AP stylebook but had their own guidelines that often superseded AP. Have to make that point to her, and if she doesn't like it, too bad.

Sounds as if she came out of college full of idealism and has yet to find it's not the same in the real world.

It's good that you're pondering how to deal with this before it spirals out of control. My current shop has a situation that has some similarities to yours, and although the employee in question isn't right out of college, there are issues with a disruptive personality and lack of work ethic and competence. The people whose job it is to keep this employee in line seem to be ignoring the problems, hoping they'll go away, and it just keeps getting worse.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is the answer. God, I was so obnoxious in my first post-college job. (And my second, and my third... wait, there’s a pattern here.)

I Should Coco and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted