1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 64 most annoying people in sports media 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Mar 18, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I tip my cap to the person(s) who were able to whittle it down to 64.
    And Jim Rome, kind of reminds me of a team that was dominant in this bracket 20 years ago, but has seen newer, hungrier programs reach or pass it.

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How is Portnoy a 4 seed while Rome, a man I'd forgotten is alive, is a 1?

Slacker and heyabbott like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

Tony Romo an 8 seed? GTFO

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rome is a legacy seed, more because of his body of work than recent failures.

Is SVP happy he’s not invited or is that in some way a failure?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I like how Deadspin is the only website that get its own seeding, as if parsing the various contributing members isn't worth it.

EDIT: Sorry, "The Spun" got its own seeding, too. I have never heard of this site.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Herbstreit but no Desmond? JFC.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Far too many women are on the list given their meager amount of airtime (Strength of Schedule). No Nantz? Tirico? Dan Patrick or the Danettes (and I like those guys). Some of those seedings seem to lack the understanding that the top seeds are PAID to be annoying. If you want to KenPom this thing - you look for someone (a mid-major if you will) who is annoying to his or her core. Who has to maximize their opportunities to annoy, they don't have three hours a day to bore someone. And even better - they aim to NOT annoy. You are looking for the Moneyball champion. And THAT guy isn't even on the list (even though he makes good money - I give you Jay Glazer. Annoying not just in football, but also MMA - reminds you he knows more than he's telling you and the cherry on top - equally annoying on BALLERS.

I figure Rome is Syracuse. You are always surprised they're still around, you just don't hear about them as much and there are all of these MORE ANNOYING people who have copied and surpassed him.
    Cowherd is Oregon - the new kid on the block you don't understand how they suddenly became a thing but know will be an afterthought in a few years.
    Skip Bayless is Duke. Duke is Skip Bayless. Half the people watch because they want to see them both lose.
    Woody Paige is UCLA - someone your Dad remembers as being annoying.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

How is Mitch Albom not in the field?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SAS knows he's paid to be bombastic. Gottlieb is too, but seems to think people tune in for his insight, not just about sports (you know he played basketball in college and professionally right?) but about life (he's kind of a low-wattage Cowherd in that way).

Half the people on the list seem to be playing a character on TV or on the radio.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He’s on probation for lack of institutional control due to Mateen Cleaves and his crossing the picket line.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Does Rome even have a show anymore?

And I get why Walton is a 4 seed, but he's the only thing that makes college basketball even remotely entertaining for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted