1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hearing the talk about the No. 1 seeds reminds me that it's on the short list of "Dumbest sports debates that no one will care about three days from now."
    Right up there with NCAA Tournament snubs and all-star snubs.
    Seriously, is there that much difference between a 1 and a 2 seed other than a little bit of prestige?

poindexter and Michael_ Gee like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Too early to start the "which team's omission will drive Vitale to tears" poll?

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Zion is like a combination of Dominique and Barkley.

LeBron is a once every 10-15 years type of player. Jordan was before him, and before that was Bird/Magic and then back to Kareem then Chamberlain.

I think Zion is the next player. I hope he goes to a team that gets him a pg that gets him the ball.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, being the overall #1 is a big deal if you turnaround and do a certain thing against UMBC.

And then, you are Legend.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's just something to talk about. The perfect topic for the Twitter era. Not unlike the top of the NFL draft. Regional assignment (proximity to home) is probably a much more important determinant.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought that the scandal about rich kids bribing their way into sports sounds like something that would happens in college basketball. And unsurprisingly there is an overlap. Martin Fox has been indicted in the celerity bribery case as the money conduit from the parents to corrupt testing center in Houston. Fox was named in the federal college basketball trials as the guy who wired money to T.J. Gassnola to pay the family of Dennis Smith. Fox evidently is involved in AAU basketball in Houston and knows lots of college coaches.

Meet Martin Fox, the mysterious Houston sports fixture caught up in the college bribery scandal

I have a question as a result of all this. What is a more impolitic question.

Asking an affluent man in his 70's where he met the young Asian woman accompanying him or asking a friend of a college basketball coach what he does for a living?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I really don't pay much attention to college basketball until the Super Bowl is over. Even THEN, six weeks ago in early February, the babble about one seeds and bubble teams and such is constant and sucks a lot of pleasure out of the sport for me. This weekend, I'd prefer to watch highly entertaining if often meaningless conference tourney games for the fun they provide, not the opportunity they provide for stupid panel discussions. And by all that's holy, I do NOT want announcers at, say, the Big Sky conference championship game to spend time giving me their opinions on like Duke and Gonzaga. They sent you to this game for a reason, benchwarmers. Tell me something about two teams I've never seen before. I'd really appreciate it.

Batman likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Duke should go Final 4 with a healthy Zion Williamson.
    1. Will he be the most hyped college player since the one and done rule come in?
    2. I want a t-shirt with a picture of Williamson that says: I AM A ZIONIST

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Ask Michigan State that after the Spartans were thumped by a seriously underseeded Middle Tennessee State team

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Vol fans just can't have nice things. :(

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t all the games be over by now ?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

UM-Sparty playing a pretty good B1G final in Chicago. UM up 1 under 4:00.

Winner on the 1/2 line. Loser probably a 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted