1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cal had a grad transfer from Yale recently who was pretty good.

I think Cal is pretty serious about the academic reputation of its graduate schools and expects any grad transfers to actually do graduate work and make progress toward an MA. Not all Pac-12 schools that have made a habit of accepting an annual grad transfer or two, in basketball and football, feel or act the same way.

Pretty telling that Stanford, UCLA and USC are involved in the ongoing admissions fraud case, but that Cal isn't. I think they've really tightened up, compliance-wise, after their recent NCAA academic fraud problems with the football program.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Marvin Menzies out at UNLV.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not sure on the “why” but VCU to Texas was a huge jump. Not just conferences but UT is a massive job - one of the most known public universities in the nation. He didn’t go VCU to, say, Baylor.

Smart didn’t have a lot of Texas contacts coming in. He’s mostly been Midwest/A10 country. Of the other 9 coaches in the Big 12, you fight Self. Weber, Beard, Kruger, Prohm, Dixon, Drew. That’s a pretty damn good set of coaches. Not a lot of Counzo Martins or Fran Mccafferys in that conference.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Warming up in the bullpen, Rick Pitino. He should be ready in about 15 seconds.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

God as my witness, I had no idea Ernie Kent was coaching at WSU. Just looked it up and he's been there five years.

(A gentle reminder that I really don't care about college basketball.)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. exmediahack

If Nebraska is really serious about men’s basketball (assuming they can Miles - which I think is the wrong move), they need a splashy hire.

Shaka. His price may not be huge because he’s heading into his likely last year.

Or tell Gregg Marshall to fill in the number on a check. Unless Marshall is too scared to compete in a Power 5.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He would actually be a really good fit at a program that probably really misses the Tark days.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. exmediahack

Tulane fires Mike Dunleavy, according to Nola.

24-67 for him in three years. About the average Bucks season under his leadership.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When UNLV did its last coaching search Pitino was the fantasy candidate but UNLV does not have a lot of money to spend. The football program does not generate much revenue, the television contract sucks and the basketball
    attendance is way down. But now Pitino will be affordable. This makes sense.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pitino coaching games in Laramie, Fresno, Boise ... that's like the Doobie Brothers or some band of that ilk playing the county fair circuit.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

China grove, bitches

Doobie Bros. Rock the Fair | GantNews.com

Draft saved Draft deleted