1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wasn’t a fan of dissecting the Unabomber’s manifesto either.

But publishing it did catch him.

In this case, the monster is in custody. It’s similar to see the Virginia Tech massacre, and that killer’s rantings and writings being searched for meaning.

I just foresee worldwide coverage of this potentially turning this monster into a celebrity, a source of inspiration for the next hideous racist.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Trump is wrong to assign collective guilt to Muslims.

It’s one of the single biggest mistakes conservatives have made in the last 15-20 years.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Alma- it wasn't just those guys.
    They even tried to divine meaning from the writings of the sad sack from California who shot up the collegetown because he couldn't get laid.
    There's not much to be gained from this exercise.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think this is spot on.

The Internet makes it easier, too, to spread hate - specifically racist hate - anonymously. You can incubate your hate for weeks, months, years with little to no detection.

The answer? There are people who know how to expertly research and detect this - specifically white supremacy. Turn them fully loose. A shooting like this makes it time.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are both right in theory, but in practice, if a mass murderer cites the President of the United States favorably in his rationale for atrocity, it's going to be covered, and therefore, so will be the rest of his rantings.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was pretty baked when I wrote it but something has to change with the way this stuff gets covered.
    I remember the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre when I was a kid.
    It got blowout coverage, it was the kind of shit that would pre-empt blocks of programming.
    A big deal in 1984.
    It happens today and it's forgotten by the time the next stupid thing is egested from Trump's mouth.

Smallpotatoes, Sea Bass and Vombatus like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Sorry, I can't see a connection between my anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant rhetoric and violent white supremacists."

[​IMG]

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The white supremacist fascists have thoroughly infiltrated the Republican party, and the shrinking percentage of previously non-fascist Republicans have adopted "ironic" posturing to simultaneously fit in with them and pretend they aren't part of them. It's dual signalling.

But you know what you call someone who is a Nazi ironically? A fucking Nazi.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

So on brand.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

White Power
    Pussy Whipped

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.