1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect film moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Mar 8, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I always loved, "Welcome to my church."

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cary Grant sprinting for corn in North by Northwest.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Two oldies.

Early in "Paper Moon", Ryan and Tatum O'Neal.

Beatrice Straight won a Best Supporting Oscar for Network on the strength of one four minute scene with William Holden. An absolutely crystalline, perfect rendering of two long-married people under hideous stress. She absolutely nails it, and her final line hits dead in the X ring.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

1) The bridge shootout in "The Untouchables" when they're swooping in. Mountains in the background, great music score. When I saw it in the movie theater, it was just "Wow"

2) Final scene of the Shawshank Redemption on the beach.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

NSFW, but certainly an all-timer.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating a Star Wars moment. I think Han Solo and Chewbacca swooping in to save Luke Skywalker and allow him to get off the shot to destroy the Death Star in the original qualifies. It just captures so much of the spirit that Lucas seemed to be going for in the original trilogy.

7. RARist

RARist Member

Pacino does so much with his face in both 1 and 2. The scene in Cuba when he knows Fredo betrayed him -- no words, all in his eyes.
    It was when he still did subtle

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

THE scene in the Untouchables is the stairway shootout with the bookkeeper - stolen by DePalma from a Russian movie after a bigger more expensive scene was nixed by the studio. That baby carriage and the woman. Did we ever see that woman's face? No. Because it didn't matter.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A fantastic sequence, agreed all the way.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Taught in film schools everywhere: Odessa Steps sequence from Eisenstein's "Battleship Potemkin."

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not an "all-time film moment," but the 30 seconds at the end of Rogue One where Darth Vader slaughters a hallway full of Rebellion troops is pretty badass.

Draft saved Draft deleted