1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inexpensive notebooks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Feb 18, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Had about 100 blank NASCAR Nextel Cup notebooks taking up space in the basement. Gave them to the local high school journalism/broadcasting teacher. He was ecstatic. Hope he calls Nextel to thank them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like the bigger ones because of my note-taking style. I draw a line down the middle of the page and either jot down quotes on both sides or quotes on one side and notes on the other. My note-taking handwriting is kind of large, so the bigger ones allow me to write faster instead of trying to cram it all on a tiny page.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Speaking of cool swag... NBook.JPG

From the 2008 presidential debates. It was like covering sports.

Batman likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Damn. You went to an event sponsored by a beer company and all you got was a freaking notebook.

2muchcoffeeman and playthrough like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I perfected my own shorthand when covering games where I need just two pages for football and one page for basketball and everything else. I use all of the pig except the oink.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I just left a newspaper and am also running short on my supply of 70-page reporter's notebooks, the kind that can fit in your back pocket. The kind we carried are from Portage Notebooks (portagenotebooks.com) and they're $19.50/dozen, but if you're willing to buy six dozen or more at a time, it goes down to $14.60/dozen. My price with shipping and tax to buy 72 notepads was $115 (around $1.60 each), but I'd think that lasts me at least a year if not two.

Draft saved Draft deleted