1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kraft, the hits just keep on coming... Kodak here we come

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I never buy name brand medicines, either. It's either CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart brand.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I remember walking in a local grocery store a few years ago with Girl Scouts selling from a table just outside the front door. Just inside, the first display table featured every Keebler-version of the Girl Scout cookies, i.e. Grasshoppers, etc.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I gave store-brand Cinnamon Toast Crunch a good, long try. It's not the same.

I definitely believe the store brand is usually exactly the same, same factory, same formula. A big one for me is contact solution. The nurse or whatever at my eye doctor once almost fainted when I told her I didn't believe the ~$10 bottle was any better than the ~$1.50 bottle.

That said, there are some products that don't measure up.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Aldi junk food is worth the drive, especially their Chex Mix and rippled potato chips.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but the BBQ potato chips under the Jimmy John's label are way better than any others I've had.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Other companies under Clabber Girl's parent company (like the one I worked for) experienced some big financial dips over the years, but that little can of $2 baking powder (also sold by the bulk in enormous bins to major baking companies) has remained a steady cash machine for well over a century. It was a running joke that no matter how bad things might get in the office, the baking powder would bail us out.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I’ve stopped in just for a bag of Jimmy Chips.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Branded foods have gone through a cycle. Starting in the 80's it was determined that products with strong brand identities could charge more. House brands of stores have never been as strong in the United States as in other countries. So if a company like Heinz raised prices of ketchup 10% sales would not decline by 10%. So profits soared. Many companies took on lots of debt and tried to pay off the debt with higher prices as a result.

It worked really well for a long time. And now it does not. I wonder if their are any other industries that have similar histories?

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else remember the white label with black lettering generic foods in stores back in the 80s?

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I'm sucker for packaging and marketing. Everything about me says that won't taste good.

John B. Foster likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

1_KKGDXHbIh-6Jiib28rSI3g.png

HanSenSE, playthrough and expendable like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted