1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Just give all the 2020 Oscars to this movie.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - if Bohemian Rhapsody starts a trend of movies with rockers with various sexual identities - they will never run out of material. Though I do think one on David Bowie would be interesting.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You mean this?

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) - IMDb

4. DanOregon

Bowie's career was just getting interesting then.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I hope Spike Lee wins, because whether or not he's the best director of a movie this year, he deserves it for maintaining the same persona, Mars Blackmon, since 1985.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

So a friend of mine just won for Best Documentary, which is awesome. But it is deeply weird to see someone you know on that stage holding an Oscar. Like, it's going to be at his house, just sitting there.

Azrael likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Kind of surprised the Oscars aren't being streamed live coast to coast - only certain markets. From what I saw at the beginning - betting on the lowest viewed ever is pretty much a lock. I couldn't even name most of the movies in the opening montage.
    They should have just stuck with Kevin Hart - the controversy would have been good for the ratings and given the show some cohesiveness. Outside of not nominating anyone who attends another televised awards show, and giving some actual suspense to the proceedings - I don't think this thing is fixable.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of my wife's dearest friends is Sam Elliott's niece, so tonight has mostly consisted of my wife screaming every time Sam is onscreen.

I think "Bohemian Rhapsody" looks incredibly cheesy. I guess I'm alone in that.

9. DanOregon

Two and half-hours in and only the big 4 and song left - wow.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Malek winning for playing Freddy Mercury. Did anyone see At Eternity's Gate because I have no idea how Willem Dafoe did. Of the others, I think Malek was definitely the best given what he had to do for that role.

11. DanOregon

I've always dug Olivia Colman - just wrapped up Counterpart on Starz, also great in Broadchurch, 2012 (the TV show). She's like a female Gene Hackman - comedy, drama whatever - she's great.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It amazes me that one of the directors of "Movie 43" has also directed a Best Picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted