1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched "A Star is Born" with Cooper and Gaga the other night and I'm mystified that he didn't get a Best Director nomination, given how many other awards for which the film was nominated. I thought it was great.

He and Gaga had a wonderful chemistry and the direction was top-notch. I thought he did a good job avoiding a cliched storyline of their romance unraveling due to jealousy, which is where I expected the story to go. His use of the color red throughout the film, on the heels of Gaga's performance of La Vie en Rose was a nice touch. The music was excellent and added to the story.

I hope Sam Elliott wins Actor in a Supporting Role. His performance was incredibly touching.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's too Tangled up for me.

maumann and bigpern23 like this.
  3. bigpern23

Finally got a chance to see "Free Solo," the film about Alex Honnold's ropeless climb of El Capitan. I spent the last 30 minutes of the film saying aloud to myself, "Oh my God," or "Holy fuck," or "Holy fucking God, oh my fuck." It's insane. Great film. It's got my vote for Best Documentary (haven't seen any of the others).

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

All I took out of it was to nag my oldest (19) for a week on end "do not EVEN THINK about climbing without a rope!" He took it in stride.

Seriously the movie scared the crap out of me because my boy loves climbing and aspires to climb that wall in Yosemite, the holy grail to climbers, I forgot the name.

The film as fantastic, loved the story and the telling of how he got there. Great cinematography and he's got some great friends.

5. bigpern23

The Dawn Wall? There's a great documentary about Tommy Caldwell climbing that one that's well worth watching, too.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Widows. Solid flick, (didn't realize it was based on a British show from the 80s), even if Robert Duvall and Colin Farrell aren't believable as father and son....or Chicago pols.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

downloadfile-9.jpg

Rapunzel and Eugene attended Elsa's coronation.

My daughters are 7 and 4.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great memories, treasure them.
    Some of my fondest movie memories are Kung Fu Panda, Toy Story, and Madagascar flicks.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I finally got around to watching Venom. It was stupid, but fun, which is what I expected.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have never had higher hopes for a movie after watching this trailer.

Sweet God, this looks amazing.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Most of The Martian again last night. It didn't get any better on a second viewing. There's a good movie in there somewhere, but that ain't it.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Vice" tonight. Fascinating but I didn't think it was near as clever as it thought it was.

It was, however, quite interesting to watch on the compound in Baghdad.

Draft saved Draft deleted