1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that I could be, as a Mass. resident, one of the first primary voters on the board. I only have a year plus to decide. The amazing thing last night watching local TV was hearing reporters and anchors exclaim "there's now less than a year until the New Hampshire primary" like it was some deadline that mattered instead of an announcement, "you can skip the next segment."

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Symbol of Sanders' problems this time around. Campaign announcement pledges Medicare for All, $15 minimum wage and Green New Deal. Even allowing for the fact these are slogans, not policy proposals, they're not his slogans. He is poaching the slogans of other, newer Democratic pols. If the Democratic voters want fresh leaders, and the midterms sure suggested they do, then he's not it.
    PS: In fairness, $15 minimum wage has been made policy in some US jurisdictions.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Has CNN posted its countdown clock yet?

bigpern23 and Michael_ Gee like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

In all seriousness, national political coverage has the same problem as preseason preview magazines. The content is all based on the idea that there will be stasis for the next year (season) when everyone knows events will happen to change everything. We just don't know what events they might be. It's hard to imagine what events might boost Trump's fortunes, and even harder for Sanders, but I'm sure that such events are possible.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

But his strength is that he articulates those positions better than other Dems. He is like Trump in that he stays on message. He keeps the focus on the issues that resonate with the increasingly disaffected portion of the electorate that decided 2016. He does not look or sound like a politician. The Dems' problem has never been their platform.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. Nobody is talking yet, about the actual future Democratic party nominee, Oprah Winfrey.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So what your saying is like his friends the Ruskies, Bernie steals from the Democratic party as well?

How the hell is a guy who IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE PARTY expecting to run as a Democrat? I can't expect to be Grand Poohbah of the Elks Clubs just because I'm a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

From you mouth to God's ears.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's part of the Bernie problem -

- the siphoning off of interest and resources that might otherwise go to more viable candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.