1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jussie's attackers: Nigerian brothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The way this story keeps going back and forth, I will reserve judgment until there's a real official press conference. But it does remind me of Shecky Greene's great joke aboutFrank Sinarta. "Frank saved my life once. True story. A couple of goons were beating the shit out of me in a parking lot and Frank came by and said, "That's enough boys, you might kill him."

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've yet to find a reason why I'm supposed to care about this.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What the hell was GMA thinking giving him an interview? That’s what I wonder now.

service_gamer likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I still never heard of him.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At this point it's a story for two reasons:
    1) It's absolutely bizarre, is becoming more bizarre by the hour, and involves a (sort of) celebrity.
    2) The fact it was a story to begin with. It's done a 180-degree turn from the initial reports of an abhorrent random, racially-motivated attack to an inside job where a lot of the details might have been manufactured at best. The difference in the initial condemnation of the attack to the current radio silence from those same people (and worse, the takes of "Well, even if it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't happen, because TRUMP!!!") is curious. Maybe we haven't quite reached a point where his supporters should be blasting Smollett for conning them. Or maybe we never will no matter what winds up being revealed as the truth.

cyclingwriter2 and expendable like this.
  6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Chicago PD, NYPD, LAPD are just like the Trump White House - they love to serve as anonymous sources when they can push a certain agenda and throw their colleagues under the bus in the process.

There is just too much in-fighting in these departments for me to believe anonymous sources in a highly volatile case.

If someone wants to put their name to the claims of a hoax, then fine. Charge Smollett with filing a false report. His supporters should come out against him, too, and Empire should probably fire him.

But I'll let an identified CPD administrator make that call, not anons.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Man, I had no idea people on both sides were trying so hard to make this some big divisive thing until I read this thread.

His story is a fucking joke, y'all. This didn't happen. The initial claim was pretty ridiculous and the evidence that has come out since makes it pretty damn obvious it was a hoax. If you need to extrapolate something political out of that, I don't know what to tell you.

Shit happens. Sometimes people make things up. It sucks for the real victims.

Jussie Smollett is not that victim.

Songbird likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out why he would fabricate this. He had a career going. That’s down the tubes now. What possible motivation could there be?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Beats me. Some people need drama. Some people need attention. Actors usually need a lot of both.

There were reports he was panicked because his character was being written out of "Empire," but I don't know this would help.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Just speculating, but he had a concert scheduled for a few days after the incident, one he managed to perform despite supposed broken ribs. Maybe he was thinking even if he was written off the show he could use to the publicity to really get his music career going.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The initial report included his "attackers" saying something like "this is MAGA country."

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    don't knock it 'til you've tried it

Draft saved Draft deleted