1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The whole idea of a settlement is that each side gets something it can live with. It's not a tie exactly, but thinking of it as a win or loss for either side isn't really accurate either, as each side had at least one of its priorities satisfied. Kaepernick chose the priority of being made whole, or partially whole, for financial losses suffered due to NFL action. The NFL chose the priority of making this legal action (and it hopes the whole Kaepernick issue) go away.
    The plaintiff can't just go fishing in the defendant's dirty laundry. Kaepernick was limited to evidence related to the specific issue of whether the NFL as a body collaborated to deny him employment. We must conclude there was such evidence, at least enough to make the NFL wish to settle.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What a couple of whores.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Please continue. I'd love to hear why you think they're whores.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not taking the bait.
    This is not something I have to try and sell someone on.
    It's my opinion. Good, Bad, Right, Wrong or Indifferent.
    Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one.
    This is mine.
    Cheers.

5. Michael_ Gee

That's not a very good answer. You took a strong position. You ought to defend it.

JC likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I didn’t think Kaepernick would settle. It seemed more principled and political than financial for him. They must have given him a lot of money. Intentional torts, like the conspiracy probably alleged in the complaint come with the chance of punitive damages. Discovery would then be open to the profitability of the league and the teams to determine the right damages to punish the NFL I would think Kaepernick got about 60 million.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you think that the purpose behind the grievance was to expose the NFL’s wrongful behavior, then no amount of money would be worth settling and he’s a sellout. If you think that he was trying to recover monies wrongly withheld from him then you don’t know what the answer is because the settlement is confidential.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK. I'll bite.
    How they can go from being so strong willed against something.....starting and continuing a controversy like that....then Roger comes in.....dangles the checkbook in front of them, and it's all settled.
    Fuck that.
    If you were so much against racial inequality and injustice before, you don't take the check.
    Why take the settlement? I think one reason is they know (especially Colin) that if he ever wants to see the inside of an NFL locker room again, he better play nice.
    Spineless, gutless whores.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think you can approximate damages. Cousins got a guaranteed 89 million as a starting QB high water mark in an open market. Kaepernick was not considered as valuable as Cousins was when the Vikings signed him. Kaep was a bottom third level starting QB. The jobs he did not get because the league blackballed him were 2nd and third string jobs, and mid season replacements. Those jobs would not have paid 10 mil a year. I thigh 60 was a reasonable number with punitive on the table and the NFLs dirty hands. The owners didn’t want to deposed. Less than $2 mil a team to make him go away.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was going to write this.

11. Michael_ Gee

The legal system does not offer plaintiffs the opportunity to campaign for social justice in commercial disputes. All it can offer to the injured is money.

12. Michael_ Gee

One more point. Colin Kaepernick hasn't gone away. Only his lawsuit has.

Draft saved Draft deleted