1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Same way Donald Sterling was exposed. Who knows what a trial might have revealed about one or more of these men’s true perspectives?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's the NFL. If Donald Sterling owned an NFL team he'd still have it.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The NBA has shown a level of social awareness the NFL has never dreamed of approaching. Jerry Richardson was a racist for two decades; he didn't lose the team until he got popped for sexual harassment.

JC likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wish I believed this was true, bit facts that are public record about NFL owners such as Snyder are so damning I don't think the league would care about anything but a sex slave dungeon, and since Jerry is still an owner, not even that.

DanielSimpsonDay and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bob McNair still owned the Texans when he died despite the comment of the NFL can't "have inmates running the prison."

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In finance it is taught that different investors bring different attitudes towards risk and return. Kapernick was looking at the risk of going to trial. In a trial who knows what happens (see O.J. Simpson, et. al)?

It is also taught that you should probably live on about three percent of your investment earnings in order to not run out of money in your lifetime. So Kapernick appears to have been offered enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. He is never going to get a lot of broadcasting or other opportunities.

It is is certainly a rational decision to take the money and go live the rest of his life rather than risk a trial.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t they drag Kapernick through the mud during a trial?

Now, could Kapernick drop that folder of info he and his lawyers have and no longer need on the doorstep of the Washington Post, NPR or the NYT and do the same job?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since none of us know what's in the settlement, it's kind of hard to render judgment on Kaepernick or Reid and the success or failure of what they sought to accomplish.

Webster and amraeder like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This story will make a helluva book.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure there are a few dozen people who have since left employment with the NFL and teams in recent years who may have have provided some interesting testimony.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I kind of agree. But, of course, the board has decided that settlement means a smashing success for Colin Kaepernick. I’m not so sure.

The one thing we do know is that, if the NFL had any big bad secrets, those stay under wraps, unless Kaepernicks camp plans to leak them anyway.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Given the context in which it was said, I think it’s understandable that he kept his ownership (while simultaneously saying a very stupid and wrong thing.)

Draft saved Draft deleted