1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know him better than someone who’s never met him and hiding behind his keyboard.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not really. You also thought the PGA had a rock solid drug policy and that Tiger Woods was clean because he dared someone to teat him. Then you never responded when poster after poster linked stories about how ridiculous that is.

Writers interviews thousand of baseball players over the years and were so bloody naive they believed they were clean.

Spare me, the I interviewed him BS

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

What a slog-fest at Riviera. Didn't see much, but for Adam Scott and Justin Thomas to get to 10-under in that shit is impressive.

Woods, all over the place. Sitting on the cutline at 1-under with six holes to finish in his second round on Saturday. He was leaking oil when the horn sounded.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just catching up. Kuchar totally owns this and just make it right and make it $75,000 or even $100,000.

As for Riviera, going to be a long slog to finish this thing by Sunday.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never met Trump and I know he's a jerk.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kuchar is an insulated jerk. I don't care if you've interviewed him. I don't care if you've slept with him.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    JC likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No. Garcia has a track record as a petulant lout and while what he did this time was egregious, it's a golfer-on-golf crime. Kuchar's behavior was a lack of humility and selfishly hoarding the financial gifts of a charmed life, and that really rubs people the wrong way, whether they're golf fans or not. Those that are hung up on "they had an agreement and Kuchar honored it" just don't get it. Kuchar was stiffing the guy, pure and simple, and when confronted about it his reaction was to belittle everyone from whoever was asking ("this isn't a story") to day laborers ("it was a lot of money for him!") to everyone kvetching on social media (a fight you'll never win).

I strongly doubt Kuchar woke up this morning and on his own decided to make this right. And we know it wasn't Steinberg, who doesn't have a decent PR bone in his body. Maybe his wife set him straight (judging a book by its cover, Sybi Kuchar seems like a kind and decent Tour wife). But my money's on the PGA Tour fixing this, because players' images are paramount to keeping the money flowing and this story was spreading like wildfire far beyond the insulated walls of golf, and making everyone associated with the sport look terrible.

It's never too late to right this kind of wrong, but Kuchar will feel the collateral damage for years to come. You're not going to see him in new Sketchers TV ads or Tour b-roll anytime soon. And he's going to have to spread around greenbacks like Al Czervik for a long time to make the whispers stop, which ultimately will cost a lot more than that $50,000.

8. Deskgrunt50

Woods opens his third round birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie. He's gonna hate when the horn sounds suspending play for darkness.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

His first par was also a three. Nothing higher in five holes.

10. Deskgrunt50

Measly par for Woods on his fifth hole. Still, I'd murder someone if I could have a legit 3-3-3-3-3 on my card.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've done it in miniature golf.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

I almost put that caveat...

Draft saved Draft deleted