1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that left a lasting impression on you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Feb 15, 2019.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The Founder

A quintessential American story that is actually a damning indictment of the culture. A highly underrated film that I find fascinating.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In this vein, my summer camp in 1960 trooped off to see "Psycho." Great movie, but a bad night for the counselors when we got back.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Schindler's List, Gorillas in the Mist, and, oddly enough, Driving Miss Daisy.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Breakfast Club.

I first saw it in high school around the time it came out, and it spoke very clearly to the angst I felt as someone who was accepted but just a little out of step with the rest of my HS.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Gallipoli

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In agreement. The moment the janitor told the VP “the kids haven’t changed. You have” was genius. Years later Bobby Bowden said after one FSU practice “Kids don’t change. Parenting has.”

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Taxi Driver
    Platoon
    The Exorcist
    The Departed
    Silence of the Lambs

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I never gave a hoot about comic book super heroes. I was all about Indy. I have the movie poster on the wall in my classroom.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Se7en (“What’s in the box?”) was the only movie whose ending disturbed me, although to be fair I was seeing a girl at the time who looked like a brunette Paltrow. That ending was fuct up.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
    Rollerball (original)
    Andromeda Strain (original)
    Silent Running

Liut likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Perfect dark movie. Great ending, surprising at the time but now an expected “twist.”

Original Rollerball was much darker than the remake. Plus it had post-The Godfather James Caan.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The Way of the Gun

Flight

Once

Once Upon a Time in the West

Draft saved Draft deleted