1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would say $60 to $80 million would be worth that.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Won't anyone think of the garage attendants?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, you would.

But you’re not the guy who was silently banned from a league for what you believe in.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think the NFL was worried about being proven to have colluded - I think the NFL was worried about owners being exposed as racists, damaging fan interest and relationships with players.
    They could argue that they felt keeping Kaepernick off of rosters was protecting teams from distractions or backlash from other groups - if the league was shown as disrespecting black people, they would have lost advertisers.

I did think it was interesting that the league seemed to go out of its way to embrace civil rights history in Atlanta this go-round. It wasn't like this was the first Super Bowl in Atlanta.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kaepernick isn't Emile Zola in the Dreyfus case. He was a plaintiff suing because he had suffered significant unjust financial injury. The settlement is a redress of that grievance, and if it's as much as rumored (always best to be skeptical, but let's assume) then it's roughly a starting QB's salary for each of the years he's been out of the league. That seems roughly just, even generous. And it certainly has yet to be rumored that the settlement includes him renouncing his desire to play in the NFL. To repeat myself, the league took every possible legal measure to win a suit filed by its most visible star (a white one, we must add) over a four-game suspension on the most trivial matter imaginable. If it gave Kaepernick and Reid big money to end their complain, it wasn't because the league thought it was winning.

6. PCLoadLetter

Evidence would suggest he feels that settlement was acceptable too.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't get a needle too close to her head. It might pop.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, taking a settlement doesn’t necessarily mean he was entirely right, they were all wrong and, by the sheer grace of Kaep, he decided not to expose the NFL for what it is.

That’s perhaps what you’d like it to mean, and it may mean just that. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that.

9. PCLoadLetter

OK.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I’m confident the NFL was gonna look real bad in this.

I’m surprised Kaepernick didn’t want to see the NFL suffer the full freight of its sins tho. The NFL didn’t suffer much at all.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have to think NFL owners would probably win a "most arrogant" contest against all comers. US Senators, local news anchors, Book publishers, fashion designers, restauranteurs, hedge fund managers...

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

With rich shits like that, having to give Kaepernick and Reid ANY money, let alone many millions, will sting like hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted