1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"If you’re looking to make the NASCAR season less expensive, a meaningless exhibition race might be the place to start," she writes. Not gonna happen at Daytona, you need track activity to call it "Speedweeks." If you want to make the season less expensive in a hurry, cut the schedule.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Forget Harvick. If he doesn't want to run in it, don't.
    Scrapping traditional NASCAR events is what has helped created the mess they are in.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let the drivers drive and wreck someone else's cars. I'd put them in floor models of whatever car they are supposedly driving. No reason to wreck something they might use in the 500.

4. playthrough

Bring back IROC!

FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
  5. Driftwood

But it essentially is the premise of IROC these days because the cars are cookie cutter.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

At least if he crashes there, he won't be able to take out half the field.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t put it past him.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Big difference between ditching the Clash and dropping the Southern 500. That decision was the beginning of Brian France’s total fucking up of the series. Or maybe the Chase came first. I can’t remember.

9. Driftwood

I was thinking last night when watching the qualifying races about how they used to be run on Thursday afternoon. That's the only time I ever remember my dad taking off work to do something enjoyable. He'd leave work at lunch to come home and listen to on the radio and in later years watch the races. I thought it was so cool to get off the school bus and my dad be home.

My mom and dad went to Daytona for their honeymoon. My first race was the '73 500.

FileNotFound and playthrough like this.
  10. playthrough

Better during the day and better when a bunch of cars weren't guaranteed to make the show.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s not all of it — the Earnhardt-Gordon rivalry pretty much created the bubble, which popped 18 years ago — but BZF’s so-called leadership was not helpful. Still, Steve Phelps (the guy in Mike Helton’s old job) said all the right things in this interview.

The State of NASCAR: 'We probably lost our way'

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So only two drivers DNQ? And all cars running at the end of the Twins - that has to be a first.

Draft saved Draft deleted