1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kathy Berman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 10, 2017.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There was no thinking involved.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I need to read more about an inebriated brain. I’m fascinated by it, because I’ve been a few sheets to the wind, done stupid things while drinking, but my brain has never been convinced it can drive while drunk. It’s just something it knows it can’t do in that condition. I’m sure it’s different for each brain and I’m wondering what factors go into how a drunk mind processes what it thinks it’s capable of and what it isn’t. My drunk mind makes me think I can nail falsetto parts in bad pop songs but it never thinks it can steer a car.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

SHE WAS AN ALCOHOLIC. It's that simple.

Between increased tolerance and screwed up thinking (I've done this 1000 times before...), the idea never crossed her mind

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yep. Good friend of mine was a raging alcoholic. His wife tried to stick it out, but the last straw was that she couldn't get him to stop driving drunk with their son in the car.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Raging alcoholics live in their own world — alone with their alcohol as they neglect everything else that should matter. Some are functioning but they all blame everyone in their circle when they’re drunk.

It is living hell.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hopefully the other, dead driver's family can sue Berman's estate and the bar for millions.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Bermans won't let that happen, even though Kathy killed someone. They have the money for good lawyers. Unless the dead driver is someone who can pay for equally, or better, lawyers, they'll only get pennies.

Money helps the elites stay untouchable.

8. exmediahack

May I push back with this?

If i was still married and my wife did this while she was on one of her benders, I’ll be damned if I go bankrupt because I stayed together with her to try and keep the family together.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You can get fine attorneys for one-third of a few million. Unfortunately 87 year olds' lives aren't worth a few million. And dram shop act cases are difficult to prove.

10. exmediahack

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think so. The article did not indicate he would be working that many games. It sounds like a way to whittle some free time away in retirement.

If Berman really needed money he could find a job that pays a least high six figures.

I am surprised that Josh Lewin got fired by the Mets.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The gig economy comes to the announcing booth.

Draft saved Draft deleted