1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As opposed to America's version: "If we don't like the results of the election in XXXXX, we'll just overthrow the leader and install our own democracy."

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a scourge on American Politics and is grossly under qualified for her job.

I don’t care if she has an economics degree, she knows next to nothing about economics.

She is the most radical of all radicals in the House and her Green New Deal is straight up communism.

The people of New York ought to be ashamed for electing her. She’s an embarrassment.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great, now do half of your side in the House!

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And President Trump, which is the real reason Republicans love to focus on Ocasio-Cortez. They think her presence in Congress somehow justifies President Trump's presence in the White House. It does not. Even if you buy the argument that she is grossly unqualified and the worst of the radical left, she's still not as bad a fit for her current job as President Trump is for his.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why do y'all even engage with the guy? Would you engage with a drunken loon shouting at a subway station?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.

It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument.

In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion." In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds." But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

How exactly is this "preying on the poor and disenfranchised," as one commenter calls it and AOC seems to consider it? If people who have business reasons to attend the hearing don't pay poor/homeless people to wait in line, they'll just send students or interns or low-paid staffers, or someone else whose opportunity cost is lower than their own. I don't see how that (or moving to a lottery) would make the homeless any better off.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Rainman is...troubled...but I figured whataboutism is something only conservatives on this site did.

It's remarkable to me how little critical thinking is applied to her various positions and intermittent, one-day crusades.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is she worried about the homeless, or who has access?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

AOC gets a big power boost from Amazon NYC exit.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Quote? Link? Anything? Because there's nothing to be inferred from the linked story.

Seems like she's more horrified/disgusted as she becomes more and more familiar with what lobbyists do.

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.