1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not in a way that will get new people to consistently read Esquire. So what's the point?

They could have stuck a photo of a horse cock on the cover and it would have achieved the same result.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hate to agree with 'yab on anything, but is there something in the piece that marks the kid as conservative?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is what culture? American culture? I watched the Grammys Sunday night. I didn’t see a dominant American culture from the billion dollar music industry. If I did, it wasn’t defined by white men.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wasn't specifically referring to the kid as conservative. I was referring to the point of view.

Here's how he's described in the story:

After our talk in the library, Ryan and I walk to his Government and Law class, led by Adam Inkmann, a social-studies teacher with a beard. “He is funny,” Ryan tells me on the way over, “but at the same time, he makes sense.” The class recently took a political-opinion poll that places students on a forty-four-point spectrum from Conservative Reactionary (22C) to Liberal Radical (22L). About two thirds of the class were moderate to liberal, falling between 1L and 22L. Ryan says a few kids landed at the extremes: one “conservative radical,” a boy, and three “liberal extremists,” all girls. Ryan is 2C—a conservative-leaning moderate, according to the spectrum. He supports the death penalty, and limits on foreign goods. He doesn’t support welfare, unless those who receive it are made to get a job. He doesn’t support needle exchanges. On issues of gender, Ryan is mixed. He doesn’t think abortion should be legal. He doesn’t support condom distribution in high schools to prevent pregnancy. If a man and a woman earning the same salary have a child, and if one of them must quit their job to raise it, Ryan thinks it should be the woman. But he supports marriage equality and the right to enlist in the military regardless of sexual orientation.

and

The most popular opinion at West Bend seemed to be anti-Trump. Ryan, raised in Republican households, was surprised by the vitriol. “Everyone hates me because I support Trump?” he says. “I couldn’t debate anyone without being shut down and called names. Like, what did I do wrong?”

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think the piece is a little...relaxed...kind of like the writer was going more for a short story/Boyhood approach.

But there are interesting things in it. He hits a girl and gets in trouble for it, even as there’s some evidence, at least from his perspective, that it wasn’t his fault and he didn’t start it. He starts to evolve politically away from Trumpism. He is somewhat isolated, from a broken home, a little disaffected, he’s around guns because his dad hunts...I mean, I get the story. It includes all the elements of a white, conservative, gun-toting kid who nevertheless seems uncomfortable in those trappings.

The style doesn’t have much urgency or tension to it, but life often doesn’t have those things.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Question.
    Why does anyone care?

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Seriously?

We care because his physical condition, or lack thereof, can affect his abilities to do anything competently. If he has dementia, I'd sure as hell want to know it. If he has MS — MS! — I'd sure as hell want to know it. If he is physically or mentally compromised to the point that it impairs his judgement, I want him the fuck out of office.

The only reason they're not releasing the results of his physical is because he's obviously in much worse shape that the image they want to portray.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

With all things POTUS, it's worse than you can imagine.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Trump just murdered one of my favorite jokes and pissed on the ashes.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.