1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9838C812-7CBB-4A82-A80C-DDAD84F8835C.jpeg

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Brilliant troll? Freudian slip? Or honest mistake? (Not a factual mistake to be sure)

cyclingwriter2 and heyabbott like this.
  3. heyabbott

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As anyone who has dealt with the tight parameters of headlines knows, “white” is shorter than “honkie” or “cracker.”

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As well they should. It's ridiculous what that cartoonist thought he could get away with.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure - my point wasn't that my old paper had done it, my point was the comment showed up in the strip. I just happened to read about it in my old paper

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That the white, straight, suburban, middle-class conservative male point of view is already overrepresented in the culture.

In fact IS the culture.

And that by defaulting to it, Esquire has missed a chance to do something much more interesting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The fact that a 17-yo straight white male appearing on the cover of a national magazine has fueled this much angst speaks volumes. About what, I have no idea, but in a world where controversy sells, this was not a mistake on esquire’s part.
    A. They aren’t going to lose subscribers.
    B. They aren’t going to lose advertisers.
    C. They have people who normally don’t read esquire, reading and talking about esquire.

11. heyabbott

Maybe they need better role models than trump McConnell and Bruce Willis.and I’m not sure why you think conservative is a descriptor for the cover. Can’t a white teen male be open minded as a a general proposition?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Cult 45. Works every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.