1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It is next up in the "watch with girlfriend" queue. We're currently almost done with season two of Big Mouth, which is profane and delightful.

garrow likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This might be a little esoteric and nerdy (even for this place!), but I was watching Peaky Blinders recently, and during one scene, I was immediately struck by the song that was playing. Googled the lyrics to find it. Turns out it was recorded specifically for the show and is not available except in a lift from the show itself on YouTube.

It's an extremely powerful string of scenes, the dialogue of which you can hear over the song. The band is apparently called Eyes on Film. I know that films and TV shows make use of original music all the time, but I think of it in terms of scores, like Hans Zimmer and Christopher Nolan. I can't think of another song, with lyrics, that was purposefully made for a show and for a scene. And judging from the Internet, a lot of people would like to have a recording of the song available, but it does not exist in any form except in the soundtrack of the episode itself.

Says something about the care that was taken in making this really very, very good show.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I see that Catastrophe is ending in the UK today. Hopefully the last season will be on Prime soon.

I’m almost done with 3 seasons of Shetland. The lead actor is really good.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Still loving the new season of True Detective. Ali is just fantastic.

Also, on the advice of my wife, I'm watching The Good Place. Light. Fun. Funny. Always loved Danson. And Kristen Bell great.

I haven't scrolled back, but I believe there's Good Place praise on this thread, no?

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Good Place is very, very nice - Kind of a good mix between high brow comedy and classic network sitcom stuff. Having Danson, Bell, and the four new-ish folks certainly helps.

We powered through five episodes of Russian Doll today - really funny and interesting stuff. The 30-minute episodes make it really digestible, and while the trailer reveals a "Groundhog Day" setup, there are some twists and turns. (Also, the whole thing reminds me of a thing Chuck Klosterman wrote, I think - The show must take place in a universe where "Groundhog Day" doesn't exist, because it isn't mentioned through five episodes. I believe he was referring to "The Simpsons" or "Seinfeld" or another show though, noting that it was the first show to acknowledge that other shows existed.)

heyabbott and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I take back my underwhelming review of the new season of Narcos. After the first two or three episodes, it has really hit its stride. I have one episode left, and that's on tonight's wife and kids go to bed schedule. Along with a Jameson rocks.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ozark - so many great things and so many basic problems

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

March 15

Webster likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm I going to hell when I say that I didn't love the Springsteen on Broadway on Netflix. He's great, and can obviously write - the problem is that the way he recited the lines came off as more showy. Great one-person shows really connect with an audience. The best shows are ones that don't feel like they were like every other show - a moment or two of spontaniety where the performer goes off script - great stand-up acts do a great job of reading and reacting to an audience (the Ellen Degeneres special is like this) - I guess I was just expecting a more natural "in the moment" performance from Springsteen.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've seen Bruce live 107 times and this was my least favorite show. The music was wonderful, but I agree that the dialogue was just so rehearsed and often oddly delivered. Certainly his ego is big (anyone in that position needs to have that), but unlike his concerts, the show just didn't feel organic. And it was so weird that he devoted over a year of his life to telling the identical stories about himself

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And of course, it's now cancelled. Done after two seasons. Still highly recommended.

Draft saved Draft deleted