1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem Hunt Brutalizes and Kicks Woman in Hotel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Might have read some of Kaep’s emails too.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, at this point, what Kaep gains by returning to the NFL. I think he has all the money he needs and more social currency as a mostly silent protester than a QB who'd have to answer questions week after week.

He's talented enough for the league, though. I'm not sure the media attention is worth it to a team or to him. His rep does quite well giving zero interviews.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. It's not a talent concern. Even with the long layoff, he could probably help some team, at least as a backup.

The point is that Hunt is far more talented. On the field, he's a lock to be an impact player, one of the best running backs in the league. The Browns decided that was worth the PR hit. Ray Rice could have still helped some teams, too, but as a backup and perhaps a third-down back. Like Kaepernick, it's not that he couldn't play at all, it's that he wasn't so good as to be worth the baggage. It's not just about the amount of baggage and it's not just about talent. It's about being likely to have enough of an impact to be worth putting up with the baggage. It's why Ben Roethlisberger's career survived two rape allegations. It's why most people didn't even know that James Harrison was accused of attacking the mother of his child. If teams were sure Kaepernick could be a quality starter again, he'd be playing. Instead they see him as a below-average starter who just isn't worth the trouble.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, Hunt is more talented. At this stage, no question. People will be more willing to bite the bullet for Hunt... but ultimately the owners and fans don't really care about wife-beating.

The Washington Redskins signed and started a quarterback who hadn't thrown a pass in SEVEN YEARS. Teams would rather lose that put in the phone call. It's not a talent issue.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought the book on Kaep is that even after a few years of NFL experience, he still wasn’t much of a pocket passer, appeared to have trouble reading coverages, and was running far too frequently as a result of indecision and then choosing to run as a seemingly easier out (as opposed to designed play calls for him to run).

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What’s Hunts money too? Teams are also more willing to take chances on bargain hunting whereas reportedly Kaep wants more than minumum.

Im not a big salary cap guy and its very plausible teams are lying about his turning down contracts, but the $$$ is a factor

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s no Peterman

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not sure, at this point, Kaepernick would say yes. I'm not sure how it benefits his cause or his credibility. His GF pretty much torpedoed his shot in Baltimore.

At this point, he'd have enormous pressure on him to somehow transform the institution he willingly returned to. And since the institution isn't really the issue - it's Americans' response to the kneeling - he can't really succeed there. It's easier to stand entirely outside the system, sell Nike shoes, and retweet others' tweets on Twitter.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's a balance of both. Also, the Redskins were going nowhere. They were devastated by injuries by that point. The Browns are looking at being contenders in 2019. They weren't far off in 2018 and Hunt could help put them over the top. The situations are vastly different.

To say talent isn't part of the equation is simply incorrect. To say the NFL owners and fans don't really care about wife beating, however, is absolutely fair.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Just when you thought the Browns were figuring it out...

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Adding Hunt? I think that's actually figuring it out ahead of the curve. He was gonna get signed by someone bc what he did -- that was observed, anyway -- was considered much less egregious than what Ray Rice did. Where's the backlash? There is none of any import. The Browns beat other teams to the punch...and the kick.

Draft saved Draft deleted