1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Feb 7, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

1985 might have been "Real Grass, Real Sunshine," but that's about the time I went as a kid and it was also "Real Freezing." In July. Ah, Candlestick.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Back in the Croix de Candlesticks days. Whomever had the Giants ad account in 1985 did an amazing job with their radio spots. Our station bartered time for Giants ticket giveaways, so I was in charge of dubbing the commercials -- and they were all exceptional.

My favorite was for Cap Day: "The first 15,000 fans through the turnstiles get an authentic Giants cap for free. Dodgers caps are $12.50."

misterbc and garrow like this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Pioneer as a player and a man.

As a manager, the Jeff Fisher of baseball.

“I’m not fucking going 77-85 again!” I see him yelling in spring training to the MLB version of Hard Knocks, if there was such a thing.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair - it wasn't like he ever managed a team with expectations. And we know managers are at best good for two or three wins a year.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Some managers almost always won unless they were in the most dire of situations. La Russa, Herzog, Dusty Baker, Billy Martin, Bochy. Even Ned Yost.

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Robinson the one who inherited the 100-loss 1988 Orioles and led them into contention through the final weekend in 1989?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, Billy Martin belongs in the HOF as a manager.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick Williams, another manager who deserves the label "great" told me that no manager ever won more than 5-6 games in a season for his team, and that was like a Babe Ruth year. Usually 3-4 if he was a good manager, by which I always assumed he meant as good as he was.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Almost all the teams Robinson took over were close to, or at, the low-water marks heading into long rebuilds. And he never managed a team going into big-spender mode.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC, one of his Montreal teams was within striking distance heading into September, but MLB didn't call anyone up from the mniors when rosters expanded and they fell apart down the stretch. And his 1982 Giants were in contention until the next-to-last day of the season before being knocked out by the Dodgers, only to have Joe Morgan KO LA with a homer on the last day of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted