1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning InDesign

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Gomer, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

A rare good news story here: My paper is finally upgrading computers.

To be fair, they had to. Last time I posted on this board was three years ago when I lamented the fact I was still using Quark 4. The system setup necessary for Quark 4 is so old now I can’t open many websites on my work computer.

We are moving to InDesign CC in two weeks, likely not getting much training so I’ve started looking back at CS3 (which I used for a few months back in 2008) and watching some basic tutorials.

Any tips or tricks the design masters here could send my way? What new features in CC might be able to save me time and do my job better?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

YouTube is probably the best, free resource.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Thanks, been using that.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I remember when we hired a guy in part because he had InDesign experience and we were looking at switching over from Quark to InDesign. That was 4 years ago. We still have Quark. I'm the only person remaining from that era of the sports department.

I know this isn't useful information but I just thought it was a story someone might enjoy.

Gomer likes this.
  5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

We thought we were going to switch 10 years ago. We were redesigning our layout and I learned InDesign CS3 so I could do the redesign on both InDesign and Quark.

Good news there is I still have the templates I created on InDesign and most aspects of that redesign have remained in place, so I hope that will make our transition easier.

MNgremlin likes this.
  6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm getting a new laptop (Apple) in the next few weeks. Can I take the InDesign on my current machine and install it on my new one?

If so, what are the chances that someone with next to no tech aptitude (me) can do this successfully?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you're migrating from a PC to an Apple, you'll likely need new software. If you have an Adobe license, it should be easily downloadable on their site.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It's not that much different, once you get into it. I believe there's a way to set up InDesign to mimic Quark key commands as well.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't remember what year it was we switched from Quark to InDesign, but the transition was painful. A lot of the things Quark did easily had to be done in InDesign manually and the fonts were all different, which meant a year or so of converting everything until we got a full year's cycle in. Once we got the hang of it, it was a breeze.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser New Member

Honestly... they're very much the same. InDesign works more intuitively with other Adobe software and with some filing systems though. It's just learning the keyboard shortcuts was the only thing for me.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

We'll supposed to switch from Quark to InDesign soon.
    My fear is it will come right when we're either starting or in the middle of our spring sports tab.
    I think it should be done in the summer when our amount of local sports and school coverage drops.
    We have a combination of Apples and PCs for computers and I'm worried about formatting and font issues.
    Luckily I'm just a part-timer, but I've had to suffer through years of hearing others complain about the pinwheel/beachball of death as it spins on their screen when trying to layout pages on deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted