1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 23, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Give it a couple more years -- maybe not even that long -- and you'll be able to bet on your state-run app on whether the next batter gets a hit or if Tiger makes or misses his 12-footer for birdie. Decisions almost as quickly as blackjack.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Rhode Island state legislature is rushing through a bill to allow for gambling via app, haha.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No MLS Cups though.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The garage TV seized in the 2nd quarter. I had to unplug all WiFi in the house to get the house back online.

Watched the game on over the air antenna in the main room so never noticed it.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What about nationally? The articles with the big headlines on ESPN.com The Big Lead, etc., are all about big losses. It's great press for the bookies to tell the world they lost a bunch of money every so often.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Hindsight being 20/20 is Edelman even the MVP of this game? Gronk went 6-87 with the biggest catch and was far more important down-to-down with his blocking ability in the run game. Gilmore had the biggest defensive play and was pretty much a monster in the secondary of a low-scoring defensive game. Not taking away from Edelman's day, 10 catches for 140 yards is a game for sure but when it was time to win, Gronk was making the catch with three guys on his back.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's been just over two weeks and the missed facemask did not have as much impact and it was not as bad.

The only way the missed facemask would have affected the outcome was if the Rams scored a touchdown, which was not guaranteed. The missed pass interference changed the outcome even if the Saints still settled for a field goal. They could have run all but about 20 seconds off the clock. Due to the missed call, the Rams had a lot more time.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

How many takes would it have taken to get Gronk to say "I'm going to Disney World!" with him forgetting his line or accidentally being truthful and answering "An orgy yacht!" when they asked him where he was going?

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gronk's way too slick for that. To a large extent, Gronk is a ficitonal character played by Ron Gronkowski for fun and profit.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

69?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't rewatched Gronk's big catch, but was it a function of Edelman pulling defenders away from him?
    I'm sure you could dissect film and make an MVP case for any number of players, but it's hard to ignore Edelman being wide open on every catch he made.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've started betting parlays in time blocks. Try to find three 6 o'clock games all together, then three 9 o'clock games. Throw $10 apiece on them, and for $20 you've got a night's worth of interest. As a bonus, if you lose an early game you get a reset in the late night window.

Draft saved Draft deleted