1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I dressed as Davy Crockett for Halloween. Until raccoons take over, I think I'm clear on that. Oh, and a Civil War soldier... a real mixed message. I had an old reenactor's uniform but I think it was meant to be 1880s-ish calvary, Union blue, but an also blue kepi hat with a Confederate flag.

I do hereby promise never to run for governor of Virginia.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Twitter is mostly unpleasant, yes. I still have my account but go months between looking at it. I do sometimes feel like I'm missing out on things without Facebook, and it's weird how much the rest of the world is tied to it. In the aftermath of my divorce, I thought I'd try Tinder, and as far as I could tell you needed a Facebook page to sign up. I am grateful, in hindsight, for the roadblock.

3. typefitter

Yes, that is very lucky, and thankfully he hardly seems to have any time on his hands to ruminate over perceived slights from 2004.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I missed the Tinder phenomenon. I split with my ex in 2012, when Match was the main player. Almost all of my relationships since then started on Match, and I've now been with the same woman for almost five years. Sometimes I think I was robbed by missing the Tinder train, but then I remember what I look like and I'm quickly disabused of that notion.

5. typefitter

Tinder kind of fascinates me. (Is this the Politics thread? Oh well.) I have a single male friend here in town who is on it, and the other day we were at the bar and I asked him to show it to me. Perhaps it's effective in large urban centres, but in small towns... Like, I knew everybody on it. It was like an online version of the sad crowd that hangs in the schoolyard at pickup. I am grateful to my girlfriend for many reasons, but one of them is that she saved me from further small-town disaster. Living here with one ex is weird enough.

I remember at the World Cup in Brazil, a few football writers were using it in Rio. It seemed hugely unsafe to me. Like, talk about roulette.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In college, we hosted a Jim Jones Purple Passion Party. We played a loop of the Powers Boothe miniseries on a TV, dressed like he did in the movie and drank way damn too much PGA punch.

I will never run for governor because of that.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Uh, anyone want to be governor of Virginia?

8. typefitter

That is awesome. I think the truth is, most people have something that would sink them. Some of us have many, many things. It's weird what might come back to haunt you.

Neutral Corner and lakefront like this.
  9. typefitter

I have a friend from Virginia who makes a point of saying he's from Northern Virginia. I always make fun of him for it, but I think I've come to understand why.

Pilot likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

But his emails.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s Presdiential Material. That’s a trumpian reaction
    Marion Barry “The bitch set me up” and Marion was re-elected, often

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The long-running celebrity death pool game between friends from college is what would sink me. A celebrity death pool is one of those things that's really funny to be a part of online, but if it were framed in a Washington Post story as you were running for governor, it'd look awful. Just screenshots of you celebrating Prince's death and gloating how many points you got when George HW Bush kicked the bucket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.