1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bowling Green, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Description:

Sports Editor

The Sentinel-Tribune sports department covers seven Wood County high schools, as well as Bowling Green State University, a Division I institution with a strong emphasis on football, hockey and men's and women’s basketball.

This job includes being in contact with all seven high schools and BGSU; developing a weekly schedule for game and photo coverage; assigning work for part-time employees; editing stories; posting stories to the web site; covering high school athletic events; covering BGSU athletic events; writing preview stories and features; compiling and organizing local agate on a daily basis; taking scores from high school coaches and turning them into the prep roundup; developing a daily budget.

Must be able to meet deadlines daily and build relationships with high school coaches, ADs and other staff.

Yes, it's a demanding job. We publish six days a week and have an active website. But it also comes with very flexible hours, vacation and benefits. Email resume, cover letter and five clips to drogers@sentinel-tribune.com

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This is sports editor money for a paper that covers a Division I program?

"Salary $25,000 to $30,000"

I'm thinking they don't send someone on the road with the Falcons.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Very flexible hours: You get the hours of 2-5 am available all to yourself for that generous $30k salary!

rb

britwrit likes this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Not all Division I schools are in large cities. I could easily see getting about the same amount to cover Kansas State for the Manhattan Mercury.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably tough to attract quality candidates since the massacre. Or was that Kentucky?

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  6. bighec711

bighec711 New Member

Seriously, though, they list $25-30k ...
    Why not just print: Competent folks need not apply!
    This is beyond sad. It's putrid.

RonClements likes this.
  7. cubman

cubman Member

I made more than that at a Gannett daily in central Ohio ... 12 years ago. That's awful. Can't see them landing a real good candidate, but I bet they're thrilled not to be paying what Jack Carle must have been earning after so many years there (not that it was a bundle, I'm guessing, but certainly more than 30K).

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Hell, I made $30K at (redacted), which is down to two days a week with a circulation of around 2,000.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I make more than $30K at my hourly, non-union factory job. The part-time job at the daily paper gives me a little extra cash.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The true Bowling Green Massacre was Rand Paul getting his ass kicked.

11. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

For someone recently laid off, unemployment benefits are probably more than what this pays.

12. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

For the preps job there? Maybe.

To cover K-State? No. (I know this because I know the folks who work there.)

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted