1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach reads headline, doesn't click the link and won't answer reporter's post game questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Foutnier, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I won't defend the coach, who seems to have overreacted, but two issues here:

1. Headline is a bit too strong. Leads you to believe it's a negative story, when the reality is considerably more positive

2. The story refers to "critics," but doesn't identify or quote them. Are they fans? Other media outlets? Opponents? And are they really that vocal?

Kato and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

You do bring up valid points

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

MR. IRRELEVANT

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree with both.

It possible for the coach to have overreacted, and the story/headline be garbage, too. I believe both are true here.

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Scott Sandelin's name is getting thrown out there a bit for NHL jobs. Don't know him at all, but if he can't handle that, the NHL is not for him.

Huggy, Bronco77 and HanSenSE like this.
  7. writingump

writingump Member

His skin will have to get considerably thicker if he's ever going to draw an NHL paycheck.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The coach is getting paid by taxpayers. He should do his job -- which includes answering questions asked on behalf of the public -- or quit.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

In the interest of discussion, though, it sounds like he is willing to answer questions from others, the SID if there are other media present, and other media if they ask questions.

That was an awful asshole-ish way for them to frame and headline that story. If his only recourse is to make their lives more difficult, I'm not sure I think he's wrong.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what the headline or the article said. The coach's job is to coach, and part of being a coach is answering to the media. This guy is about as thin-skinned as a lizard. And, besides, if he has a real problem with the newspaper, he needs to be a man and talk to the reporter, the sports editor and/or editor and hash his issues out. That's what REAL MEN do. They don't sit around and act like whankers at press conferences showing how big their pecker is by bullying the local reporter.

This guy is setting the example to his players and other athletes at that university that it's alright to be an asshole. Nice job, Coach. Dick.

Writer likes this.
  11. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

This is on the SID. After this happens the first night, you call in the coach and the reporter and have them figure out this nonsense behind closed doors. If that doesn't work, you get the athletic director involved. With the exception of Belichick and Pop, I don't know how publicly being a jerk to the only outlet covering your teams helps your program.

With that being said, I am sure that we are a lot more outraged about this than that taxpayers and boosters that actually matter.

Vombatus and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted