1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Dec 31, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the time I was leaving a high school soccer game and a parent for the home team (which was my beat) suggested I do a story about how all the refs came from Springfield and Shelbyville and thus biased against Hometown. He was being polite about it, so I nodded and smiled instead of telling him how full of shit he was.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I didn't say the call wasn't blown. It was. A horribly blown call. Inexcusable.

On the Rams previous possession they missed a clear facemask on Goff that would have made it first and goal at the 2. You think the Rams wouldn't have scored a touchdown instead of going for the game-tying field goal that made it 20-20? Equally inexcusable.

Called were missed. It was not a banner day for officials in that game. They missed another facemask on Cooks I believe that was missed.

My point is that the Saints had the ball first in overtime, at home, with their Hall of Fame quarterback calling the shots. With everything that had happened they couldn't have asked for a better situation to determine their fate. Pat Mahomes would've killed to have that same opportunity. They didn't get the job done. Curse the refs if it makes you feel better.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He can call the penalty and resume the game from that point. Love it. Call the Rams back, the fans, Joe and Troy and, best of all, Vinovich and Co. Surely Vinovich thought he’d never get to go back to The Big Easy. Gotta hit Cafe du Monde this time.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing that bugs me about the Pats. They are a great team and seem overly eager to shove it in everybody's faces. Like winning the game and a Super Bowl isn't their true passion - it's lording it over everyone. Great QB who is also married to a supermodel. Coach who can get away with giving nothing to the media (not looking for a personality, just a little respect). They are a team with a lot of advantages, that acts like nobody ever handed them anything (tuck rule cough, cough).

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. LOL.

Batman likes this.
  7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

No need to change the replay rule. Change the challenge rule. I agree with Belichick. Let the coaches challenge anything they want with the exception of turnovers and scoring plays (which are automatically reviewed).

Give the coaches one challenge a half. They can challenge whatever they want. Win the challenge and you get another one. Lose the challenge, tough shit.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This better be a joke.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You know it's grinding the NFL's gears that they had two pretty exciting championship games yesterday, and the only thing being discussed is the officiating. It's going to stay that way for the next two weeks, and the Super Bowl will have this hanging over it at least until kickoff.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But the game was fixed I’ve been told.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted