1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I agree with this so much. If you don't jump stories, you can get pages done early. It's all about copy, design and page-to-press flow. I remember talking to someone at another paper where their policy was basically: If the story is long enough to jump, you're better off splitting it into two stories, one outside and one on an inside page.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One of the mysteries of the publishing industry is what the Newhouse's are going to do. The Newhouse family has a reputation that they do not sell newspapers, period. But they are not buying anything, For example Gatehouse jsut bought Akron for 16 million. You would expect Newhouse to have jumped all over that, considering all the other Northern Ohio properties they own.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

And Newhouse let all of those Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania Calkins papers go to GateHouse. Imagine the Star Ledger also with the Burlington County Times and the Easton paper with the Bucks County Courier-Times.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I think Newhouse has given up on expansion, that’s why they gutted the Trenton Times and didn’t buy any more NJ papers. Anyone know the current circulation of the Star Ledger? The NJPAs web site shows 2016 data.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Word of some of the people who took the buyout in Detroit are trickling in
    Notable at The News is longtime Tigers writer and columnist Lynn Henning, who had been at The News for 40 years and wrote a column for The Detroit Sunday Journal during the stroke
    At the Free Press, longtime columnist Rochelle Riley and sports writer Perry Ferrell are leaving
    Freep says there will be no layoffs but that could change if DFM buys Gannett
    As it turns out, Henning retired rather than take a pay cut
    Among others asked to take a pay cut are Bob Wojnowski and Neal Rubin

Detroit News Asks Columnists Wojo, Henning and Rubin to Take Pay Cuts

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  7. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

There have been some people talking about layoffs this week, possibly in Indy.

8. Writer

Writer Member

I know Gannett has had buyouts, but are cuts also coming?

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

If enough people don’t take the buyouts, sure. I think a lot of places have current openings, so some of those jobs may be absorbed into others to avoid layoffs.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The saddest part about the newspaper industry is that most papers don't have enough staff to fill even the meager newsholes papers have these days.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pathetic. Not too much left on the bone in Indy.

Draft saved Draft deleted