1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The point I am trying to make is that the newspaper is no longer the only way to reach a consumer. And the consumer can not only be reached more cheaply but more efficiently through electronic advertising. Companies with the card data can determine the buying patterns of their consumers. So they can send discounts to frequent buyers of tampons to those emails addresses (ie. women) and razor blades to the email addresses of the frequent purchasers (i.e. men) of those items. As an aside the same technology is crushing the traditional woman's magazines.

Advertising revenues have been declining 10% a year. They are going the way of the classifieds. Newspapers barely withstood the loss of the classified business. I don't think many can withstand the loss of retail.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One very INEFFECTIVE effect of electronic advertising is that they target you by what you search for.

In my case, I search for something . . . I buy it . . . and THEN I get followed by all these ads for something I just bought (and won't buy again for months, if ever).

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is ineffective. But I bet it is more effective than a newspaper insert. And people will analyze the data and the electronic advertising will get more effective.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Our local Kmart runs inserts sporadically; the local Sears even more sporadically. And they tend to be really thin.
    Possibly of note: Best Buy (also regularly on the list of "next to close big-box stores") quit running inserts entirely about two years ago.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted